Reflecting on a Life

by | published May 29th, 2014

We will talk about energy matters another time. Today, I have something else I need to share with you.

This week, we honored those who have given the supreme sacrifice to allow the rest of us to live the kind of lives we do.

For me individually, this is a very tough time of the year. And it is all coming back to me this morning.

Particularly today, as two matters converge.

Both are personal and prompt that I write a different kind of OEI…

First, I am completing the “Acknowledgements” section of my latest book – The Great Game: The Coming Face Off for Global Supremacy. You will be seeing a documentary shortly with information on how to receive a copy… free. So watch out for it.

Anyway, in acknowledging who I should thank, a flood of memories rushed in. Many involved experiences on the front lines of the Cold War and its aftermath, while walking in what these days feel like another guy’s shoes.

I was then playing “The Great Game” as a profession; a game with some very high stakes. This morning, acknowledging those who helped me shape the book has quickly given way to acknowledging who I am.

That in turn brought back the faces of people who helped shape me. I owe them my life. For a few, that debt is a very literal one.

And that gives way to a ready emotion, a result of the second matter hitting today. It’s what makes this time of year so difficult for me, because Saturday (May 31) is a bittersweet anniversary.

It is one of two dates on which I should have died.

On both occasions, somebody else did instead. But what makes Saturday the more poignant is the victim. He was a fellow traveler in “The Great Game,” a close friend, and I put him there.

It was during a still classified operation that had gone very sour, compounded by the part of the world we were in. There was little in the way of a support structure to fall back on. I made a mistake that didn’t help matters any and the op started unraveling.

What happened next is something that stays with me forever. He simply jumped into the line of fire and took a spray of bullets.

How do you “acknowledge” somebody for having done that?  I couldn’t later when I met with his widow and their two daughters back home. Can’t do it now.

That I received two of my medals for the affair simply added to the irony and the pain. For his part, the man whose sacrifice let me keep on breathing received a star on a wall in northern Virginia. It does not even bear his name, given that the assignment is still classified.

He gave his life to save mine and even now his name cannot be mentioned.

I have never been able to shake the feeling of living on borrowed time. It is something that will be with me always.

As one of my mentors used to say, “If you live long enough in this business, you end up walking with ghosts.”

Nobody told me at the time that some of those ghosts are more personal than others.

But if this life given to me by others has taught anything, it is this. You need to stand for something; you need to make other people’s sacrifices – spouses, parents, family, friends, fellow countrymen – worth the effort.

It is the only way each of us can shoulder the legacy, the gift, the responsibility.

Especially these days. Conflict is a major part of what is experienced all around us. In fact, it has been the norm for some time. Peace seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

OEI can’t deal with the bigger issues. Yet I can at least offset how some implications of conflict affect your financial security.

The next six to twelve months will be a major period of volatility for the energy sector. We are again reaching one of those times where decisions will have massive consequences, there will be winner and losers, and life will have changed a bit once it is all over.

I intend to help you stay on the plus side in all of this, as part of the way to honor those who got me through earlier tough times.

Consider it my own version of paying it forward.

Please Note: Kent cannot respond to your comments and questions directly. But he can address them in future alerts... so keep an eye on your inbox. If you have a question about your subscription, please email us directly at customerservice@oilandenergyinvestor.com

1. SHIRLEY A FOSTER
    May 29th, 2014 at 14:25 | #1

what a article wish everyone would take a few moments and write a similar one. The comments you made are so true none of us have ‘made it on our” thank you for sharing

2. Thomas Chorba
    May 29th, 2014 at 14:36 | #2

Thanks, Kent. And welcome home.

3. terry davis
    May 29th, 2014 at 14:46 | #3

standing tall….good for you…all of america needs tp read ……you set ahigh standard

4. Karen G SORKIN
    May 29th, 2014 at 14:47 | #4

Moving. Poignant. God had bigger plans for you sir. Thank you for being on OUR side and sharing such personal feelings.

5. Raymond Richman
    May 29th, 2014 at 15:32 | #5

Many of us are living in someone else’s shoes. As a member of the 398th Bomb Group, I remember the members that died, particularly my squadron commander who is frequently in my thoughts. God bless them and keep them. Looking around me now, I believe they died in vain but I haven’t given up. I keep trying to put it on the right path.

6. Kerry Jean
    May 29th, 2014 at 15:47 | #6

Kent, I can only imagine and convey my gratitude to you and all the others who put themselves in the line of fire.people today don’t have a sense of history because they think it doesn’t matter to them in their present lives. I love history and appreciate those who blazed the trail for us. Thank you for your service to our country.

7. James Cummings
    May 29th, 2014 at 16:36 | #7

Yes Dr. Moore, you can relate what it means to lay down one’s life for another. That reminded me of a man that did just that so that all mankind could have an opportunity to have ‘everlasting life’ with the creator that created life. His name is Jesus, the Son of God. God GAVE his only son to die for our transgressions, so that we could be with him eternally.

8. Dave Willetts
    May 29th, 2014 at 16:46 | #8

Welcome to the club. It is not that exclusive

9. May 29th, 2014 at 16:58 | #9

WOW! Thank you so much for that powerful messege. We are all so busy making life that we ZDO forget those without and gone. God Bless you ! For your service and for the honesty of that post. Please let me say that I now have a bigger trust and respect for you. Kind regards Deborah G Flynn

10. John Pestotnik
    May 29th, 2014 at 17:20 | #10

Kindred SPIRITS
    LIFE, eternity, IS and MEANS Something!
    I believe we LEARN for eternity, will NEVER know everything, AND this conclusion, at this juncture predicts Perfection of DESIGN!
    JP
    age 61, THIS ?time ?

11. Mark Rainville
    May 29th, 2014 at 17:21 | #11

WOW!! That is pretty impressive…..

12. May 29th, 2014 at 17:31 | #12

Thank you for your article Reflecting On Life.
    I have a little money to invest but given what I have come to know about corruption in the stock market, corrupt investment advisers and hyped investments in general, I am at a loss as to what to do. Everyone has the “secret” deal, the “inside contact or info”, the latest “formula”, stocks taking “reverse splits”, pumping and dumping, or have what the big boys use trading stocks in microseconds making the stock market a rip off scam.
    So the government is going to take my retirement, devalue my my money, I just read where the President is signing in the Carbon Tax, and who is manipulating the gold and silver anyway?
    So what am I to do….Gold and Silver seem the only way out BUT WAIT! Given the power of those pulling the strings who is to say they will not devalue the gold for the common man to $50 per ounce and raise for governments at $10,000 per ounce giving the common man 90 days to turn in their gold or silver and after that it’s illegal and the man will be at the door. BUT WAIT! It could all go digital and we will have digital credits to draw instead of cash/gold/silver etc. That way we will no longer need cash/silver/gold etc. It will solve all our problems and many crimes will fade away. I think you know where I am going?
    So what is a common man to think, to do, invest?
    The real kicker is that there are great possibilities out there but who can be trusted? and I need to invest for protecting myself and to earn for the future. It gives me a headache. Daniel

13. lucky ekman
    May 29th, 2014 at 18:14 | #13

Kent:
    Interesting you should talk about the 31st of May as a very personal anniversary when you should have died, but didn’t. 31 May 1966 I was an F-105 pilot 34th in a force of 68 Thuds to roll in and dive bomb a huge military area in Yen Bai, NVN. Hit by 85mm rolling in on the target, I came off a big ball of fire. Ops officer talked me 10 miles from the target into high country before the bird quit flying and I punched out. An hour and a half later Jolly Green came in and snatched me out to fly and fight another day and again in later years (1971-72). Everything good since I owe to the HH-3 crew that came further into NVN than any had to that point in the war, the Sandys (A-1 Spad drivers), and to my Ops officer who hopped on my wing and talked me into the high country before he told me to punch out.
    This is a time of year for memories, humility, and thankfulness, indeed. Cheers, Lucky Ekman

14. May 29th, 2014 at 18:34 | #14

Beautifuly expressed and deep In your sincere Herat. You put life in a true and honest perspective. I always value your perspectives an keen mind. Bless you and yours!

15. duane
    May 29th, 2014 at 18:35 | #15

hi dr. reading what you have to say about your life gets to me a bit.all i can say is that God has you in his plan and is seeing you are to do his work in a way that you do well. i would like to say something about my self about why i can not join in on your offer i received..we have lost every thing in a house fire when our home burned to the ground the night before turkey day last november the cash we had was in the house as well before i turned it into silver it is gone with every thing we had. i could go on but there is no need to. and no inc. there is a very small amount of money we have to play with for stocks and giving you what it takes is not here to be had. i worked my hole life but now on a fixed income getting back on our feet looks dim. to bad you do not have a way a person could pay for your new bunch for making that kind of money only coming the 2 times like you said. id like to add that am so sory you have had to live with what took place in the fight for freedom. bless you for the time you and so many others have done for this country…it is so sad that there are those that are watching our back on keeping things good are selling the American dream down the drain. even though i can not get in on this im glad you can do what your doing for those that can. duane harvey

16. Bob Kraham
    May 29th, 2014 at 18:56 | #16

Kent,
    I read your thoughts re:”Reflecting on a Life” and respect your taking the time
    to relate those memories and what they mean to you. We all have memories that stay
    with us while those we wish were still here are long gone.
    For me they have slowly evolved to much more than painful thoughts. They have as I’m sure been the motivations that keep us movind forward in a less than perfect world. Those memories become the “uranium” that proples us to keep moving forward
    when we just don’t seem to have the willingness to get up and stay with life.
    I thank you for sharing your thoughts and please know we are still here, able to
    stop and reflect that whatever we do we cannot give up.
    Respectfully, Bob Kraham

17. Steve K
    May 29th, 2014 at 19:59 | #17

Dr Moors, I don’t have Nearly as honorable a story but I do have an affirmation of the impact that you have had on this grateful soul. Several years ago, not long after infectious disease specialists had gathered totell my family that they had lost the battle against the MRSSA infection that had damaged my heart, they did in fact pull me through, albeit with a seriously handicapped body.This afforded me the opportunity to begin a fruitful, though one-sided relationship with you through your newsletters. At first I was only able to study youur methods as my health and associated bankruptcy left me with little in nthe way of investable resources. But from the start I recognized the quality of your advice , your success and above all, the integrity that shone nthrough all of your writing. As I began to rebound I was able to share in some of your successful recommmendations until I finally was able to gather the resources to dive into your Money Map Project #1. I took a much greater risk than you or anyone else would recommend but it appears that it may have been the right time to do such a thing. I wll consider you one of my greatest mentors and I sing your praises to anyone who will listen.Thank you.

18. keisha whitted
    May 29th, 2014 at 20:18 | #18

Hello Dr.Moore my name is Keisha W.I am a recipient of this newsletter. I just read your heart felt article. It’s nice to hear the more personal side of all this business and how it got it’s started. I don’t pretend to have an inkling of the depth of your particular situation, but do sympathize with the invent. And I would like to say Thank You! For continuing to move forward. I read your newsletter to educate myself and to spread the word in my world. So even if I can’t use it myself, others try to benefit from your teachings and guidance. I believe when you’re already ready, you don’t have to worry about getting ready. So when my opportunity comes , I know who to turn to. Please continue your version of paying it forward. Because people like myself are listening and appreciate your gifts. Thank You!

Sincerely,

Keisha W.

19. May 29th, 2014 at 21:08 | #19

Dr. Kent,

As I read your comments I thought about history, I like history.
    History teaches us about a lot of happenings in this world if we would just study it.

This time of year hits me hard too, I have lost Grandfathers, Father, and many wonderful friends through these wars.

WARS: Why do we have wars, because some country gets mad at another country, NO, WARS are created by a very powerful group of people that are meeting right now to talk about the world’s situation, FOOD, WATER, OIL, GOLD and the like. These powerful people set the rules for the world for the next few years. They meet at this time EVERY year in a secret location to do their dirty work for THREE DAYS, then go back home to see what happens, WHAT THEY MADE HAPPEN because of their meetings.
    The real answer to wars is to kill people. They want 300 million people world wide dead as soon as possible. That means more FOOD, MORE WATER, OIL, GOLD, LAND for those left.

They have decided that there are too many people on this planet and some MUST GO.

If this is not the truth, why then not just sit down at the table with a few BIG people and make their decisions.

That would END ALL WARS, oh yes, let’s not forget all the money these countries would lose, BIG MONEY.

Thank you for your service, SIR, and yes, MY GOD has a plan for you.

20. Frederick Lowe
    May 29th, 2014 at 22:46 | #20

Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself. Nice to know you have a heart. More respect for you – someone who has been on the firing line, not just an academic. The success so far of Money Map Project #1 has made my financial future brighter. Just like you owe another, I owe you a big thanks for the work you are doing.
    Treasure your beautiful wife and your family. In all the high stakes action, thanks for remembering it is the people in your life that matter most.

21. May 29th, 2014 at 23:17 | #21

Hi!, Patrons Of Oil & Energy Et Al:

Not long ago my mind began to reflect upon what OUR Lord said, when He told US: “Greater love has no man than he give up his life for his friends.” Then the consequences of such events began to simmer into my consciousness; ideas like the one giving their life willing to loose that sense of intimate comradeship and communications that goes with the separation of what we title death and how unknowingly long those consequences last. The only consolation by which my mind can attempt to find peace is once again from OUR Lord; when He promises US that, because he lives we will live also. Can we imagine knowing that some unknown time in infinite space there will be a time of reunion with those friends we think sometimes that we have lost for all time? That’s the only sense of reconciliation upon which my mind can find some semblance of rest and resolution towards eternal peace. Ask He says to us and we shall receive that OUR JOY may be full. Maybe per chance the Holy Spirit entered in to advise me of the positive things to which we can all look forward and that is my primary hope for myself and all mankind.
    RUSS SMITH, CA. (One Of Our Broke, Fiat Money States)
    resmith1942@gmail.com

22. R.P. O’Reilly
    May 30th, 2014 at 01:18 | #22

Thank you Kent, your thoughts make me think about doing more for others.
    To quit being so – Me Oriented-. To share more, help more,love more.

God Bless,

RP

23. Mekbib Tilahun
    May 30th, 2014 at 01:22 | #23

Thank you Mr.Kent for sharing this mesmerizing piece of your life.

24. Sharon &Jim Stratton
    May 30th, 2014 at 01:41 | #24

We too were given “the gift of time together” on 9/11. We weren’t at the World Trade Center when we were supposed to be there and thus were spared. We chose to think it was for a reason and that we can give back in a variety of ways.
    Another way we think that you are “giving back” is through your oil projects. Thank you for making it possible for some of us with very small portfolios have a chance to participate in them. This will help us make life better and more secure for our families.

25. JAN HOES
    May 30th, 2014 at 01:49 | #25

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR MESSAGE. I APPRECIATE THE WAY YOU ARE GIVING YOUR THOUGHTS.

26. John K
    May 30th, 2014 at 04:54 | #26

Kent,

Thank you for your sharing with us and for the way you do this. Yes, moving, poignant, AND deepening and enlarging your service to average people, like me. Money, happiness and satisfaction is one thing. But invincible hope through true faith and freedom can (re)build trust in this confused and dangerous world. That is the essence and your sharing with us is a testimony on that road, for many! Thank you, and God bless your life and your work, as certain as he has taken from us our sins and set us free for His eternal glory and for our joy, John K

27. mick
    May 30th, 2014 at 05:34 | #27

“..acknowledging those who helped me shape the book has quickly given way to acknowledging who I am.” – this phrase struck me immediately, it’s hugely important and always deserving of respect when practiced. There’s an unsung hero at every turn if we can look past our egos to see it. thanks for putting it out there Kent.

28. May 30th, 2014 at 07:06 | #28

Your message straightened my spine. Thanks so much.

29. Vince Czaplyski
    May 30th, 2014 at 07:28 | #29

Kent,

Thank you for who you are and thank you that there are people in the world like your fallen comrade. Without knowing that you had lived this chapter of your life I was already impressed and honored to have found you as a source of professional guidance. This of course adds depth to you as a person and further confirmation that I am glad to have discovered you.

30. John L. Coates
    May 31st, 2014 at 08:38 | #30

Kent: Thank you. I was recently asked a question by a man who had just survived a brain annualrism Why would God let me live? I too have survived 3 major operations and am doing very well. My only answer to him is to, Do His Will and to Please Him who died for me. I Trust you feel the same way.

31. Stan Lawrence
    May 31st, 2014 at 08:56 | #31

Kent,

Thanks for sharing. I sense that you could not have gone past this date any other way. A mistake or error is just that – someone missed the mark. Forgiveness is not easy, especially forgiving ourselves. It is necessary to forgives ourselves to get on with being the best we can be for the rest of our lives. I believe you are doing that, so keep up the good work. A lot of us are listening out here.

Stan

32. May 31st, 2014 at 09:18 | #32

Thank you,sir for your heartfelt message,which must be tough to write with the flooding of memories from another time ,in another job.I am most thankful you are now helping all of us with your great knowledge and contacts.
    Gary

33. James E. Biava
    May 31st, 2014 at 09:36 | #33

After reading your personal comments, may I suggest that you read a book written by Joel Martin and Patricia Romanowski entitled “We Don’t Die”

34. Sigfrid Muller, M.D.
    May 31st, 2014 at 09:39 | #34

I invested in Money Market Project 1 because I trusted Dr. Moors. In researching his CV and reading his past and current involvements I was convinced of his integrity as well as his smarts. Thus I had no doubts about investing what was a goodly sum of money in his recommendation. Then to read his personal bio on memorial day was doubly inspiring. And caused me to reflect on my own past. I see the finger of God in all of this pushing us along the way to our common inevitable destination. Thank you. I got more than my money’s worth.

35. yngso
    May 31st, 2014 at 10:13 | #35

I have had a similar experience. Something very tragic happened to someone very close to me, and it was partly my fault, and also that contributed to saving my life.
    Reading the above brings home something I have thought about for some time: What we have, money or whatever, our responsibility is to use it for good.
    Daniel, Dr. M. has taught us that the real store of value is energy. However, he´s in no way an old “hydrocarbon fogie”. His last recommendation in the EIC was a Solar stock, and he has talked about renewable energy many times.
    Also – did I miss something? – because like Sharon and Jim I have limited funds, definitely not enough to get in on the new projects so far!?

36. Dave Wheeler
    May 31st, 2014 at 10:25 | #36

Dr. Moors
    I really appreciated your blog today. It touched me that you are a person of integrity and honor and by the life you lead you are continuing to honor your friend everyday. Continue to be an example of what we ought to do.
    Thank you and best wishes.
    Dave

37. Joseph Sakaan
    May 31st, 2014 at 10:29 | #37

I can only SALUTE your friend & you.God bless.

38. Jim
    May 31st, 2014 at 10:50 | #38

Kent,
    Thanks for reminding us to always remember the people that helped us along the way. Often, we forget or take them for granted.

39. Tom Patterson
    May 31st, 2014 at 12:16 | #39

Kent, Directly or indirectly, we all may realize that others have shaped our lives and successes. During 1966-74, I lost two college roommates, one augured in making Carrier landings, the other returned safely only to lose his way and disappear probably from PTSD. This occurred while I was safely following my career path as a Urologic Surgeon stateside at the Naval Hospital,Orlando. Reading the medical records, which included verbatim last transmissions,of pilots wingmen, as they were punching out, humbled me as I met some of these me who had survived up to 9 years in NVN prisons. Many years later shaking John McCain’s hand I also gained insight into the physical abuse they absorbed. Don’t dwell on survivor’s guilt. Those of us who have made our way…can silently and anonymously, give back to wounded Veterans, and others that need our help. Being a successful investor,should be seen as an opportunity, to assert ourselves and be proud to be an American.

40. Dirk Koker
    June 2nd, 2014 at 03:04 | #40

Dear Sir
    May God give you peace in your heart when you remember lost ones, however it may happen. Something that has always comforted me is that the bible says that those who die in Christ will be the first to be redeemed into the new creation.
    But it is good and right to bring those back in remembrance. Thank you for being the person you are, and God bless your efforts in the future

41. Michael Dougherty
    June 3rd, 2014 at 06:58 | #41

Thank you Kent for sharing the poignant story. All of us are affected directly by the heroic sacrifices of so many. We all owe our freedom to those who unselfishly put themselves in harm’s way. I for one am so thankful you took time to share the story. It makes me realize how precious is my lot in life.

42. George Chiang
    June 5th, 2014 at 15:42 | #42

Uncle Ken,
    During war or special purpose operations, the HERO sacrifices; the Lucky ones come home; and the not too lucky ones get injured physically or mentally. We always appreciate the ones sacrificed for world peace.

YOU HAVE GREAT KARMA, WHICH WAS DESTINED TO PROTECT YOU FROM EVEN WAY BACK. We consider ourselves very blessed for having you guiding us with good Karma.

I was an Air force brat, and was 2nd Lieut. – ROTC. as aircraft technical supply officer. I fully understand how you feel on this Special Day.

May God bless them Peace Keeping Angels.

George Chiang

43. George Pillmore
    June 5th, 2014 at 22:35 | #43

Thank you for your honest revelation. The notes following your story show how everyone has a history he/she carries with themselves, often tragic, sometimes humorous, but in some way dramatic. I was a young naval officer in WW II and I was on an LCT small landing craft going into Omaha Beach 7:30 am June 6 1944 with a crew of 13 or 14 men. Seeing the terrible cost of young lives lost there gave me a perspective that says I should live my life in a way that would somehow compensate those who did not survive. I’m sure you have a somewhat similar response. May God give you the knowledge to have peace.
    George Pillmore

44. June 17th, 2014 at 16:27 | #44

As a 1970’s US Marine, thank you. Although few ever volunteer for suffering and sacrifice, those who do and those who find them in other ways always end up showing up in life so much different. In those tests, everything gets stripped away except what really only ever mattered anyway – Love, God and People. All else is mere chatter. I fear our country has lost this sense…even to the point of condemning those who fight to keep us right… We all need to be constantly reminded of this as the things of life try to take their place. Thanks for doing that for me today. God Bless..

45. CHRISTOPHER BOWEN
    June 17th, 2014 at 20:32 | #45

EVERYTIME I VISIT THE VIET NAM WALL I BREAK DOWN. THE HONOR, SELFLESSNESS, COURAGE OF OUR FELLOW AMERICANS IN THE MILITARY IS OUR GREATEST HERITAGE AND OBLIGATION. WE ARE WITH YOU IN YOUR MEMORIES AND SHARE THEM IN OUR INDIVIDUAL WAYS. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

46. JP
    May 23rd, 2015 at 09:13 | #46

Life goes on despite those difficult times. I suspect you also have some great memories that keep you going. Your Brothers death was not in vain; for you carry that persons legacy with you always. It is with great HONOR that you continue your journey so that others continue to be inspired as well. GOD Bless America. GOD Bless the Brave Women and Men and their families who Serve(d) in our USArmed forces.

47. Al
    May 23rd, 2015 at 10:50 | #47

I work in the Oil in Gas production and we’ll service to many on the ground Frak workers truck sand and water haul drivers who make sactifice no week ends or holidays and dangerous work and long hours. We continue to honor war vets buy working in this tough industry so our country can have fuel to survive on everyday like natural gas for cooking and fuel for driving. We have missed family gatherings, family birthday, our children and regular 9 to 5 life in order for the rest of the country can live a normal life. We thank all who support the Oil and Gas industry and tribute to war vets who died for this country so all citizens of this great country can live a normal life and freedom

48. robert
    May 24th, 2015 at 10:37 | #48

All in aid of empire. War is a raid by one ethnic group on the resources of another.

49. Matt
    May 28th, 2015 at 21:11 | #49

Kent,
    Been there, know what it’s like and I feel your pain. There are many more of us. Thanks for hanging in there.

50. Jere
    May 26th, 2016 at 13:14 | #50

Dr Moors thank you for your service. Freedom does not come free. Thanks to all who service and protect our freedom. Thanks for your introspection on life.

1. No trackbacks yet.